A speed limiting device or speed limiter, also known speed governor, is a device that interacts with the vehicle engine to permit the attainment of a per-programmed maximum speed.
The benefits of SLD include:
- Commuters enjoy safer traveling conditions.
- It reduces occurrence of speed related Road Traffic Crashes (i.e. it saves lives and property).
- Allows for less fuel consumption which means a reduction in greenhouse gas emission.
- It enhances fuel-efficiency, and leads to substantial fuel saving since higher speeds are less fuel efficient.
- Reduction of CO emissions associated with improved fuel consumption.
- Reduction in vehicle downtime for unscheduled repair/ maintenance
- Less chance of trained staff being lost through speed bans
- Vehicle Speed Limiter helps to prolong vehicle tyre life and reduces wear/ tear.
- Lower speed also cuts down vehicle maintenance cost and slows down depreciation value thus vehicle last longer.